“And the Spirit and the bride say, 'Come!' And let him who hears say, 'Come!' And let him who thirsts come. And whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.” - Revelation 22:17
|Kempton New Church|
Isaiah 60:8. “Who [are] these [that] fly as a thick cloud, and as doves to their windows?”
For the children from Luke 2
22. And when the days of her purification were accomplished, according to the Law of Moses, they brought Him up to Jerusalem, to present [Him] to the Lord,
23. as it is written in the Law of the Lord, that every male opening the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;
and from John 1
29. On the morrow John sees Jesus coming to him, and says, Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
30. He it is of whom I said, After me comes a Man who was before me, for He was prior to me.
31. And I did not know Him; but that He should be made manifest to Israel, for this I have come baptizing with water.
32. And John bore witness, saying, I observed the Spirit descending as a dove from heaven, and it remained upon Him.
33. And I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, On whomever thou shalt see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, He it is who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.
Readings from the Heavenly Doctrine
AE 282:5. This [Isa 60:7‒8] treats of the Lord’s coming, and the enlightenment of the Gentiles at that time. And “the flocks of Arabia that shall be gathered together” signify the knowledges of truth and good; “the rams of Nebaioth that shall minister” signify the truths that guide the life from a spiritual affection. “To fly as a cloud and as doves to the windows” signifies examination and scrutiny of truth from the sense of the letter of the Word. Therefore “to fly” signifies circumspection, for “cloud” signifies the sense of the letter of the Word, “doves” the spiritual affection of truth, and “windows” truth in light.
AC 863. That Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made. That this signifies a second state when the truths of faith appeared to him, is evident from the last words of the preceding verse: “the tops of the mountains appeared;” and from their signification, as also from the signification of a “window” (see n. 655) as being the understanding, or, what is the same, the truth of faith; and likewise from this being the first dawning of light. Concerning the understanding or the truth of faith, signified by a “window,” it may be observed here as above, that no truth of faith is possible except from the good of love or of charity, as there can be no true understanding except from what is of the will.
AC 869. And he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters were abated from off the faces of the ground….
AC 870. That by a “dove” are signified the truths and goods of faith with him who is to be regenerated, is evident from the signification of a “dove” in the Word, especially the dove which came upon Jesus when He was baptized…. There the “dove” signified nothing else than the holy of faith, and the “baptism” itself, regeneration. So there was signified, in the new church which was to arise, the truth and good of faith which is received by regeneration from the Lord. Similar things were represented and involved by the young pigeons or turtledoves that were offered for sacrifice and burnt offering in the Jewish Church….
|© 2020 Kempton New Church|